Safety is our #1 priority here at RUTLAND Products, so we couldn’t miss this opportunity to share some quick safety tips about holiday decorating!
- When hanging stockings by the fireplace, be sure there is a fireproof barrier (doors, grate, screen, etc) blocking embers and sparks from flying out of the fireplace. Stockings are typically made of flammable materials and can catch fire easily.
- Keep gifts away from the fireplace! It can look festive to have your gifts stacked around the fireplace, but wrapping paper can catch fire easily and become a fire hazard. Follow the “3 feet rule” and keep flammable items at least 3 feet from the fireplace.
- We know how tempting it can be to toss your Christmas tree into the fireplace once the holidays are over, but this is not a safe way to dispose of your tree! Christmas trees are not dry or seasoned enough to be safely burned in your fireplace and can result in dangerous creosote buildups in your chimney!
- Along the same lines, do not burn wrapping paper in the fireplace! The inks and dyes can emit toxic fumes when burned and can lead to chimney fires. Instead, recycle (depending on where you live) or repurpose it!
- Be sure to have working smoke alarms on every floor and a fire extinguisher on hand in case of emergencies! The holidays bring a lot of candles, baking, and nights by the fireplace, so it’s important to always practice fire safety!